If you are moving house, we have compiled a great check list to help you plan your move. Click on the banner below to download it!
5 Things To Know Before Hiring a Moving Truck
Moving from one house or flat to another, can be a huge step for many of us and sometimes very stressful. When planning your move, there are some considerations you’ll want to make before you embark on the task of transporting your belongings. One of those considerations is whether or not you should hire a moving furniture truck. No matter where you live in Auckland, Tauranga, Hamilton, Wellington or Christchurch, there are five things you need to know before hiring a moving truck:
- How much furniture and belongings do you have? This is something that many of us are guilty of. Thinking we have less than we do because we simply forgot to account for something. So, don’t forget the large appliances that you own, along with big and clunky furniture, such as a dresser or a bed. Those items can take up more space than you first thought. A good strategy is to do a “stocktake” of all your items and write them down on a list.
- The size of the truck rental you need. Whether you would need a small truck hire or a large truck, it’ll all depend on the number of items you’ve listed on your checklist. You’ve taken into account all of your large appliances and your big furniture pieces along with the boxes and other important items that are moving with you. Since you’ve prepared your list, you now have the option of checking out different truck sizes and choosing the one that best suits your needs. It’s usually better to go one size up so you can make one trip instead of guessing too small and having to do multiple trips.
- Check around for the best rates. Since truck rates are different based on several factors, you’ll want to shop around to find the best rate from the best company. Some companies offer different rating systems so you’ll get the best rate for your rental and your budget. When you’re looking for truck hire in Auckland, you might consider Hireace with hire rates by the hour or by the day. When moving within the city, Hireace has the option to pay per kms travelled and for long-distance travel, options for unlimited kms is also available.
- Book your truck ahead of time. Hopefully, you’re doing all of this in advance because once you’ve found the right truck company for you, you’ll want to reserve that truck as soon as possible. If you wait until moving day to do this, the company may not have a truck available the size you need and want. However, when you book your truck rental ahead of time, the truck you want will be ready and waiting for you on moving day. You’ll want to call the company the day before and confirm, of course, but you’ll have peace of mind, knowing you’ve got the truck you need for this big transition you’re undertaking for yourself by moving onto a new house or apartment.
- Know what’s covered in your agreement. This is one of the most important aspects of a truck rental. You want to know what’s in the agreement in case of an unfortunate event such as any accidental damage that can occur to the rental truck. You need to know what you’ll be responsible for should you find yourself in an accident or something else crops up like the truck breaking down. You never know what can happen. You’ll also want to consider a gas budget since this won’t be covered by the company, but rather you since you’re the one using the furniture truck. The more you know before you sign, the better your understanding in case something happens while the truck is in your possession.
Moving day is a big day for most people. It’s the day that starts a new chapter in their lives. They’re stressed and excited all wrapped up in one as they face the challenges of getting their belongings to their new place in one piece without worrying about leaving something behind. The possibilities are endless when you’re moving and to make things easier during this time, you should consider the five tips above to help you in your move when you’re considering hiring a truck rental to get the job done.
Give Hireace a call on 0800 00 11 22 and the staff will be happy to assist you
4 Great Tips to Consider when Hiring a Truck for your Next House Move
When you’re looking at a furniture truck for your house moving needs, you’ll find that these can be some of the best time savers and money. If you’re looking for options, you won’t find one cheaper than a truck rental to move your furniture and belongings.
However, there are some things you should know before you hire a truck for moving purposes. Here are four things that you’ll want to know before renting a truck from any company.
- Rates vary by season – Daily and hourly rates can vary greatly depending on the season in which you’re moving. Summer rates are typically higher than winter ones because the demand for truck rentals is higher. Though you may be able to score a cheaper rate during the summer months, you’ll usually find that the winter rates are even better because the demand isn’t there, which can save money in your budget for other things. So, you’ll want to shop around during the season you’re planning to move or even months before so you can lock in a cheaper rate when the time comes.
- Distance costs vary by company – The greater the distance you travel in Auckland or anywhere else, the more it’s going to cost you. The amount you pay per kilometre you drive can also vary from one company to another or if you drive more or less than a certain distance. You’ll want to calculate the total distance it’s going to take you to drive from the rental company to your old place, to your new one and back to the rental company. With that figure in mind, you can better compare the rates that multiple companies are charging and find the best one for you and your needs. Hireace offers unlimited kms as an option for long-distance travel like Auckland to Wellington or Christchurch.
- Parking space for the truck at either location – When moving house from one place to the next, you will find that a rental truck isn’t the smallest vessel in the world. They need space and plenty of it to back up to your current house for loading purposes and then you’ll want to do the same at your new house for unloading. You’ll also find that the bigger the truck, the more space you’ll need for reversing and manoeuvring the truck. This is something you’ll want to measure several angles and distances between curbs, especially when you live in an apartment. You don’t want to block the road or block people from getting into their cars. Hireace makes it easier for you to know the dimensions of the truck.
- Know what you’re booking – When you find the company you want to use, you’ll want to book your rental moving truck with them as soon as possible, but you’ll also want to confirm that the hire truck you’re booking is actually the one you want. You don’t want to come on the day you are set to pick up a large hire truck and find that you’ve been booked for a small one or vice versa. The mix-up or the misunderstanding can end up costing you way more than you’d want. So, double-check!
Knowing what to expect while renting a truck is the best way to prepare yourself for when the time comes to pick up your hire truck to start your move. With the four points above, you shouldn’t have any surprises when the time comes to move.
Why You Should Hire A Truck When Moving House
Moving all that furniture, appliances, and belongings that have been boxed up from your home can seem like an insurmountable task when you don’t have a large truck or van to load everything inside. Instead, you have a small car or mid-sized SUV.
So what are you going to do with all of your stuff? It’s too much for your vehicle since you’ll never get the big pieces of furniture inside that car. If you’re facing this conundrum and you can’t afford to hire a professional moving company, you are not out of choices just yet.
You can hire a truck to move your house that you can load and unload yourself (with the help of a few friends, of course).
There are a number of reasons why hiring a truck makes sense and we’ll discuss them here.
- Cost – The cost can be the amount of money you’ll spend using your own gas as you try to fit everything you own into your car and other cars you’ve pulled into the move from friends willing to help you move. It can also be the cost of hiring a professional moving service that can cost you several hundred or even thousands in just getting you from one side of town to the other. These costs can be quite pricey when you consider the favours you’ll owe your friends for borrowing their vehicles, including money for the gas they used, and you can just imagine with a professional moving company how exorbitant that fee will be. There is another option in this that you might consider and that’s a truck rental. Whether you live in Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Wellington, or Christchurch, you can find a truck hire that will fit your needs at a fraction of the cost and time of your other two options.
- Time – Your time is precious and you don’t want to spend days trying to move a two-bedroom house into another one. When you are ready to move on moving day, you want it done that day so you can relax and start unpacking at your leisure. When you are relying on friends or a moving company, you are forced to wait upon them to show up, get everything packed up, and hope that everything comes with them as they make their way to our new house. When you are moving house, you don’t want to be at anyone’s mercy and having a truck rental can all make the difference for you and your time. You can find your furniture removal from your old house to the truck and from the truck to your new home is an easy one with a truck rental since you’ll have the option of a tail-lift, saving you precious minutes as you load everything onto one truck and make your way to your new house.
- Hassle-free – With a moving truck hire that you load and unload yourself, you’ve got the advantage of a hassle-free experience. You don’t have to worry about professionals, or so-called professionals, packing your belongings the way you wouldn’t want them packed. You get to do this yourself so you can ensure nothing gets broken in the move. You also don’t have to worry about friends or professional movers showing up late or slacking off while you’re trying to get everything loaded and gone within the same day or even within a few hours. With a truck rental, you don’t have to worry about anyone or anything other than yourself and a few friends helping you with your belongings.
Whether you’re in Auckland, Hamilton, Tauranga, Wellington or Christchurch, you’ll find that there a number of reasons why you should hire a moving truck when you’re moving house. With a rental truck, you’ll save time, save costs, and have a hassle-free experience compared to other options in home moving.
If you want peace of mind and know your belongings are safe, then you’ll want to consider hiring a moving truck for your next move.